Re: Decryption Transform processing question

On Thursday 09 May 2002 12:12 pm, Takeshi Imamura wrote:
> Thank you for the detailed explanation.  I think that I understand, but I
> don't still like a single phase of decryption.

I'm not sure I understand this issue completely, but I would like to close
it. So how to do that...? <smile/> Ok, I'll state two requirements that I'd
support:
1. If more than one "layer" of decryption is required (to peel back
super-encrypted elements) then multiple decryption transforms should be
used, with the input of a later transform being the output of the preceding
decryption transform.
2. Relative URIs should be interprated with respect to their layer only --
though one can have instances in which relative URIs have no target
(they've been obscured/encrypted). Having to specify URIs with /dummy in
the path should be avoided.

So I think Takeshi and I are in agreement with respect to the first
requirement. Has it proven impossible to support the second and first
requirement together? Is Merlin's advocacy for multi-round so that
requirement two is met or for a different reason?

> Rather, I
> would like to suggest restricting the input node-set in order to support
> multiple phases of decryption, where each EncryptedData element in the
> node-set should not reference the outside of the element in the same
> document.

How would you enforce this? (Have you guys had a chance to look at some of
the ways that XInclude addresses these issues [a]). Merlin, do you agree
with this?

[a] http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#references-property

> I think I've said my piece on this matter. If no one else has
> an opinion then let us leave the transform as-is and note,
> for the record, my opinion that it appears to be inconsistent
> and non-deterministic

Merlin, in what way is it non-deterministic? If I have a signature with two
decryption transforms as presently specified, won't they yield the same
thing each time?

> and should be reformulated as [1] in
> supersedence of what I may have said in the past.

Takeshi, do you agree with these changes?