Why is Except limited to local fragments?

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:53:58 -0500
To: imamu@jp.ibm.com, maruyama@jp.ibm.com
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

I was just rereviewing [1] while getting it ready for CR publication and
had a substantive question: why must the Except URI's be "same document URI
references"? The schema says anyURI and this doesn't permit one to use a
detached signature...? (Maybe this has already been covered, but if so, I
forgot the reason! <smile/>)

[1] http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/Drafts/xmlenc-decrypt.html#transform
The REQUIRED URI attribute value of the dcrpt:Except element MUST be a
non-empty same-document URI reference [URI] (i.e., a number sign ('#')
character followed by an XPointer expression (as profiled by
[XML-Signature, Section 4.3.3.2]) and identify an enc:EncryptedData.