Re: Status of Documents and Contributor Status'

From: Donald E. Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:08:18 -0500
To: merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

From:  merlin <merlin@baltimore.ie>
To:  reagle@w3.org
Cc:  xml-encryption@w3.org
Date:  Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:48:04 +0000

>Minor nit in 5.5.2, DH Key Agreement; it is still not completely
>clear what is the input to KM:
>. The examples need to match their field ordering with the
>  definition.

Example should chang, I think, to

SHA-1 ( ZZ01Example:Block/Algfoo80 )

and the text above it should refer back to the EncryptionMethod
example above, NOT the AgreementMethod example.  This makes the
numeric example be

SHA-1 ( 0xDEADBEEF30314578616D706C652F416C67666f6f3830 )

I'll try doing this and getting the output value later today.

>. The field descriptions (DigestAlg/EncryptionAlg/...)
>  should ideally match the ordering in the definition.

>. The counter encoding needs to specify upper/lower case hex.

"A one byte counter starting and one can incrementing by one. It
is expressed as two hex digits where letters A through F are in
upper case."

>. The first example encodes the counter as "001", should be "01".

Sorry, typo.

>. Digest method is optional; what happens when none is specified?

You have to know what it is, same as you have to know the Originator
or Recipient info if they are not specified.

>. Should we specify operation with hmac (key length == mac output
>  length)?

I don't think the added complexity is worth it.