RE: Signing and Encryption

Joe

Here's ome example I found

Asokan, Shoup, and Waidner: Fair Exchange of Digital Signatures
At EUROCRYPT '98, Asokan, Shoup, and Waidner extended optimistic protocols
to fair exchange [1]. In their protocol, Alice and Bob send encrypted
signatures to each other. Then they prove to each other that the encryptions
really do contain digital signatures, and that these are signatures on the
correct documents. Finally, they send each other decryption keys.

If something goes wrong, a third party can step in and use the "proofs of
correct encryption" to verify that all has gone well up to a point. Then the
third party can take some course of action, such as terminating the protocol
or decrypting the signatures for both parties.

This is from http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds7-1/contract.html