Initialization Vector

From: Hiroshi Maruyama <MARUYAMA@jp.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:06:06 +0900
To: Ed Simon <ed.simon@entrust.com>
cc: Public XML Encryption List <xml-encryption@w3.org>

Ed,
I think you are working on the syntax of encrypted contents.
One thing that I have noticed is that, if we want to separate
EncryptionInfo and EncryptedNode (whatever name
we choose :-)) so that the same key can be shared with
multiple contents, we need to include an initialization vector
for each EncryptedNode, as in

  <EncryptedNode
      NodeType="Element"
      EncryptionInfo="URL to key"
      IV="Base64-encoded IV">

because otherwise one may know whether two encrypted nodes
have the same prefix.

Hiroshi

--
Hiroshi Maruyama
Manager, Internet Technology, Tokyo Research Laboratory