RE: encryption in XML & in SMIME

I don't quite understand the issue being raised here.

CMS is derrived from PKCS#7, not the other way round.

I don't believe that not signing the list of encrypted message
recipients is a security flaw in PKCS#7.

Encryption is intrinsically a confidentiality service. A
single 'message' may be encrypted and decrypted and re-encrypted
repeatedly as it is processed. It is entirely appropriate that
the encryption wrapper change at each and every stage.

What is inappropriate is for a recipient to rely upon as
trustworthy any information that is outside the signature
envelope. If information needs to be signed in CMS it can
always be added as an additional signed attribute.

In the case of a one step exchange this may mean that the
recipient information occurs twice. That is not exactly
a disaster.

I really do not see that Sign (Encrypt (Sign ())) does anything
usefull at all - in CMS, PKCS#7 or any other spec. If you
want data to be trustworthy put it inside the signature
envelope.

As a practical matter Encrypt (Sign (X)) is most likely to be
useful in multi step message processing.

		Phill