RE: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:59:31 +0100
To: "'John Cowan'" <cowan@locke.ccil.org>
Cc: xml-editor@w3.org, xml-dev@xml.org, w3t-comm@w3.org
> A change to the XML version number would make existing 1.0 XML
> parsers unable to cope.  Since we are not making incompatible
> changes, a new version would be inappropriate.

E62, which requires the separator in Names and NMTOKENS to be a single space
rather than any sequence of whitespace characters, looks like a rather major
incompatibility to me!

And the only justification given is SGML compatibility, so why on earth
wasn't this made a "for interoperability" rule which most of us can happily
ignore?

Mike Kay