Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

Susan Lesch scripsit:

> John Cowan wrote:
>
> >This goes well beyond the goals of XML 1.0 2nd ed, which is not meant to
> >change radical things like your #3.  It is simply a republication with
> >the errata incorporated of XML 1.0.
>
> So far, W3C technical publications [1] come in version numbers, part
> numbers, and Levels, but not in "editions." May I suggest that what
> you call the 2d edition follow the naming convention in XML 1.0, and
> be titled "Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.1" or "1.0.1," whatever
> number suits the editors?

A change to the XML version number would make existing 1.0 XML
parsers unable to cope.  Since we are not making incompatible
changes, a new version would be inappropriate.

	Yes, I know the message date is bogus.  I can't help it.
		--me, on far too many occasions