Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

From: Steve Schafer <pandeng@telepath.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:24:47 -0500
To: xml-editor@w3.org, "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
On Wed, 24 May 2000 18:31:55 -0400, John Cowan
<jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:

>It is simply a republication with the errata incorporated of XML 1.0.

Speaking of which, I don't know if there is an existing erratum or
not, but I find the language of section 2.4 to be ambiguous and
confusing. In particular, these two sentences seem to be in direct
contradiction:

"The right angle bracket (>) may be represented using the string
'&gt;', and must, for compatibility, be escaped using '&gt;' or a
character reference when it appears in the string ']]>' in content..."

"In the content of elements, character data is any string of
characters which does not contain the start-delimiter of any markup."

-Steve