Re: Is that your intention?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:59:37 -0700
To: "Maier, Thomas; 2684" <tsm@systems.burda.com>, "'xml-editor@w3.org'" <xml-editor@w3.org>
At 05:17 PM 8/10/99 +0200, Maier, Thomas;   2684 wrote:
>in productions [4] and [5], where you describe, how names are built, you use
>quite strange rules (if I understand them correctly):
>
> * A name (after [5]) can start with '_'. And it may there be finished? So a
>name as '_' can be built? Is this your intention?
>
> * In the same manner: A name can be ':'. Is this your intention?
>
> * A name (according to [5] and [4]) can start with '_' and can be continued
>with zero or more occurrences of '_', so a name can be '_____'. In similar
>manner a name can be '_:.-_' or some different combinations of those
>characters. Is this your intention?

I believe your interpretation is correct, and existing XML software
would agree with me.  The notion of "_:.-_" hadn't occurred to me, but
it's amusing.

The usage of the ":" character is limited initially though by the warning
text in the "Note" just before production [4], and very strongly by
the subsequent "Namespaces in XML" at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names

 -Tim