Re: Is DEL OK?

From: C M Sperberg-McQueen <cmsmcq@uic.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:53:10 -0500
To: wes_munsil@csgsystems.com
CC: xml-editor@w3.org, cmsmcq@uic.edu
>Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 15:36:34 -0600
>From: Wes Munsil <wes_munsil@csgsystems.com>

>Thank you.  Would this then represent an error in the prose of the
>specification?
>
>C M Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
>
>> >Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 11:10:35 -0600
>> >From: Wes Munsil <wes_munsil@csgsystems.com>
>>
>> >Section 2.2 says, " Legal characters are tab, carriage return, line
>> >feed, and the legal graphic characters of Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646."
>> >But production [2] for Char allows characters in the range
>> >[#x20-#xD7FF], which includes #x7F (ASCII DEL), which I did not think
>> >was a "graphic" character.
>> >
>> >Is DEL a valid Char, or not?
>> >
>> >Thank you.
>>
>> I believe the answer is: Trust the grammar, not the prose.  Yes, it's
>> valid.
>>
>> -C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
>>  Senior Research Programmer, University of Illinois at Chicago
>>  cmsmcq@uic.edu

It is at least a trouble spot.  There are a great many characters
in the range #x20 to #xD7FF which are not defined graphic characters
in Unicode; I believe the prose in the spec is a survival from a
period when XML processors were required to ensure that characters
used were legal Unicode characters.