RE: Comments on the "drop response-only" Part 2 draft

Thanks for the review.  I think that the small amount of comments shows
how fairly straightforward it is to refactor the spec and how quickly it
could proceed through the w3c process.  I can certainly live with
keeping the response-only mep if that would gain people's support.  I
again assert that the state machines have not served our community and
have hindered the specification and deployment of new MEPs and bindings.

The WG has now spent a fair amount of time examining the refactored MEP
approach, and we've had some detailed comments.  It seems to me that we
have largely and well covered the ground.  I thank the WG for the time
and diligence in examining the options available.

I think that it's now time to call the question on which approach to
follow.  We have sufficient information afore us to make a decision and
proceed.  I'd like to query the WG members to find out who supports the
state machineless MEP approach for our direction on the
request-optional-response problem, vs who supports the state machinefull
(status quo) MEP approach.

Cheers,
Dave

On
> Behalf Of noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
> Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:10 AM
> To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
> Subject: Comments on the "drop response-only" Part 2 draft
>
> First, thanks again to Pete for providing the diff markup [1]  on
Dave's
> draft.  My earlier note pointed out that the diffs don't catch
everything
> of significance, but they are very helpful!
>
> Last week I took an action to provide detailed comments on Dave's
draft. A
> marked up copy is attached.  I started with Pete's diff and added my
own
> comments as additions.  The changes I made were:
>
> * My comments have a yellow background  and all contain the flag
> ***NOAH*** to make them easy to find.
>
> * So I could use yellow for my comments, I change the diff markup to
use
> an acqua color for additions.  It should be self evident when you look
at
> it.
>
> Sorry I didn't get this done earlier, but I hope it will still be
useful
> on the call.  This exercise has reconfirmed my personal position on
what
> we should and shouldn't do.
>
> * Because of its impact on the spec, because I believe the whole point
of
> MEPs is to allow applications to identify the differences and the
> commonalities between what different bindings provide, and because I
> continue to believe after this week's discussion that one way and
req/resp
> are deeply and appropriately different, I am strongly opposed to
merging
> request/response with response only.  Keep the two MEPs.
>
> * In other respects, I continue to think that the editorial direction
of
> dropping the detailed state machines is beyond what we need to do to
> succeed now, but I'm not against it on technical or editorial grounds.
As
> noted in my comments, Dave has kept more detail in the binding than in
the
> MEP, and I think if we do decide to drop the full state machines the
MEP