Re: Start parameter in MIFFY/MTOM

Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@systinet.com> wrote at Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:20:45 +0100:
> I wonder what are the usecases for putting the root part elsewhere than
> the first part (necessitating the use of the start parameter). After
> all, we expect that the SOAP part is relatively small and that is the
> part that contains the instruction on what to do with the incoming
> message (including the attachments, of course).

It probably predates inclusion of use cases in the use cases and
requirements document, but there's:

   R12 The serialization part carrying the start of the primary
       envelope document element must be easily
       locatable/identifiable.

which points more towards providing the "Start" parameter than towards
fixing the order of parts.

Note that there used to be an R11 too:

<!--
<dd>
ordering of parts.</p>
case in which
the primary (SOAP) part was not required to be the first part.</p>
control
over physical order is important (for example, see R26).  The issue
here is whether the serialization should be as rigid as SwA in
insisting, for example, that the primary SOAP part be the first
part.</p>
</def></gitem>

-->

Regards,

Tony Graham
XML Technology Center - Dublin
Sun Microsystems Ireland Ltd                       Phone: +353 1 8199708
Hamilton House, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3            x(70)19708