RE: Opaque data, XML, and SOAP

From: Eugene Kuznetsov <eugene@datapower.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:06:36 -0500
To: "'Laird A Popkin'" <laird@io.com>, "'Elliotte Rusty Harold'" <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>, <ice-dev@yahoogroups.com>

> The point of all of this is that since there are many fairly
> simple mechanisms for handling binary data in XML messages,
> and they've been in widespread production for a couple of
> years now, so I can't agree with the  assertion that XML
> can't be used with binary data.

I think Eliotte is saying that it *shouldnt* be used with binary data,
not that it can't be.

To take the risk of summarizing the other position: since XML will be
used with binary data (wrong or right), let's agree on one or two ways
of doing it -- rather than 20.

\\ Eugene Kuznetsov
\\ eugene@datapower.com
\\ DataPower Technology, Inc.