Re: regarding the resolution of issue 431

From: Marc Hadley <Marc.Hadley@Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:29:22 -0400
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mark.nottingham@bea.com>, "Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

On Thursday, Jul 10, 2003, at 03:31 US/Eastern, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
> Granted, the optimization preservation across intermediaries is just an
> 'e.g.' in issue 431, but I like concrete issues, therefore I proposed
> we
> close issue 431 by saying what seems to be the consent of the group,
> i.e. that intermediaries can indeed change what is optimized.
> Are you (and maybe others) saying that you disagree with the line above
> tentatively and wish to wait until we have the requirements?
I think its premature to close 431 until we have agreed on the
requirements. We discussed some potential requirements on the call
(e.g. preservation of attachment order) that have implications for

> Or are you saying that there may be a bigger issue we will see after we
> have the requirements? If this is the case, let's close 431, wait for
> the requirements and open issues stemming from them.
If you want to separate the example in 431 from the more general issue
of intermediary semantics that's fine, but even then I don't think we
can close the new issue for the example until we have an agreed set of
requirements - how can we know that its OK for intermediaries to shift
data between attachments and inline until we know the set of
requirements we are trying to meet ?

Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>