RE: What is a SOAP Message

There is a representation being sent in the "non-RESTful" request.  It's a
representation of a resource at the sending side.  There is ALWAYS a
representation when an HTTP POST or PUT is sent.

If you post a "3" to a URI, that "3" is a representation of something at the
sender.  add(3) is a representation as well.  It's probably of a different
resource than the "3".  Putting the "add" inside the representation makes it
more difficult for a firewall to figure out what the verb is, but it's no
less a representation.  Even in CPUs, the "verbs" are actually data.  By
your analogy, CPUs have "data" and "verbs".  In reality, CPUs just have
"data".  But they know that some of that data is to be interpreted as a
verb.  Point being, there's just bits.  And representations don't
differentiate between verb bits and noun bits.

Your view of representations is more limited than Roy's is.  I know you
don't believe me, but I spent some time talking with Roy about this very
specific scenario.  We could include him in discussions if you want.
Actually, that might be a good idea as I'm certainly not an acknowledged
"REST" expert.

Cheers,
Dave