Re: What is a SOAP Message

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:00:02PM -0800, David Orchard wrote:
> Interesting.  I think we might have a disagreement about the scope of
> representations.  I assert that in ALL cases of messages using the HTTP
> binding, a representation is transferred.  Not just for the WebMethod
> feature wrt SOAP.  In the case of a "non-RESTful" SOAP usage, such as the
> classic getStockQuote inside a POST, there is still a representation being
> transferred.

There is on the response, but not on the request, because the request
body is a message, not a representation.

Ok, one last try. 8-)

"3" is a representation.  If I POST it to some URI, it is a request for
that identified resource to accept the number three for processing.
That's all.  A successful response means it was accepted and processed.

"add(3)" is a message.  If I POST it to some URI, it is a request for
the number 3 to be added to whatever value is already there.  A
successful response means the number was added.

I don't think we need to agree on the implications of this difference,
in order to agree that there is a difference.

MB