	From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
	Sent: 05 February 2003 13:33
	To: Martin Gudgin
	Cc: John J. Barton; jones@research.att.com; Noah Mendelsohn;
Rich Salz; Sanjiva Weerawarana; xml-dist-app@w3.org;
xml-dist-app-request@w3.org
	Subject: RE: AFTF requirements, pre-2003/01/31 telcon

	Gudge wrote on 02/05/2003 08:00:02 AM:

> [...]

XInclude
	> uses qualified elements after all ).
	>
	> >
	> > We have an object--the SOAP XML--with some pointers inside.
	> > Some of the pointers will resolve to entities in the
package;
	> > some will not.  As far as I can tell the infoset, being
	> > designed without consideration of our case, treats all
	> > pointers the same and it considers all referenced entities
	> > be outside of the infoset.
	>
	> The Infoset doesn't say anything about references. It knows
nothing
	> about URIs. Therefore it knows nothing about 'referenced
entities', not
	> even the fact that they exist.
	>
	> > This is the only sensible answer
	> > for normal hypertext documents. What you seem to want is a
	> > "package-set" that has the properties of an infoset extended

	> > to the pointers that resolve to within the package of data
	> > sent with the SOAP.
	>
	> Yes, I want some or all of the 'referenced entities' to
actually appear
	> at the Infoset level. The infoset still doesn't know they were
	> 'referenced entities'. As far as the infoset is concerned the
data is
	> just inline.

	Back to the question I raised previously; how does an infoset
"in line"
	a document II within another document II??? I don't think that
loosing its
	"documentness" is necessarily such a good thing. Sometimes, you
want it
	to be a document, not just a collection of EIIs.

	I'm still quite skeptical of this.

	<snip/>

	Cheers,

	Christopher Ferris