RE: Proposal for issue 277 - part 2

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:57:25 -0700
To: "Marc Hadley" <marc.hadley@sun.com>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Herve Ruellan" <ruellan@crf.canon.fr>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I agree that this would be a consistent model but I think it would
require changes to the current model based on qualified names described
in part 1, section 2.8:

"The version of a SOAP message is identified by the qualified name of
the child element information item of the document information item. A
SOAP Version 1.2 message has a child element information item of the
document information item with a [local name] of Envelope and a
[namespace name] of "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope" (see 5.1
SOAP Envelope)."

If I recall, the reason for going with a qualified name was to clarify
that

  <S:HenriksEnvelope xmlns:S="http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope">

would result in a S:VersionMismatch and not a S:Sender fault. Using a
qualified name could also be seen as being more consistent with out
treatment of header blocks.

>I disagree, the namespace of the envelope defines the version
>of SOAP -
>any future version of SOAP that added new elements or changed element
>names would also have to change the namespace. The upgrade
>header block
>just declares support for a particular version and hence only the
>namespace is required - claiming to support that version means
>supporting changed or multiple root elements so there's no need to
>mention them explicitly.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/06/LC/soap12-part1.xml#envvermodel