Re: Proposal for new last call issue: Some unprocessed headersshould stay

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:11:18 +0200
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
CC: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>, Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, XMLP Dist App <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

I don't think the impact is much bigger on the spec. I think it's
a tradeoff between: 1) either describing the "relay" role in
Section 2.2; or 2) describing the "relayIfNotProcessed" attribute
in a new Section "5.2.4 SOAP relayIfNotProcessed".

A prototype section 5.2.4 is provided below.

Jean-Jacques.

Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> 2) After that I prefer a separate attribute as this also solves Mark's
> problem. My concern is that it has a bigger impact on the spec.

<proposal what="Section 5.2.4 SOAP relayIfNotProcessed">
The SOAP relayIfNotProcessed attribute information item is
used to indicate whether a SOAP header block targetted at
a SOAP receiver must be relayed if not processed (see
section 2.7 Relaying SOAP Messages).

The relayIfNotProcessed attribute information item has the
following Infoset properties:

     * A [local name] of relayIfNotProcessed.

     * A [namespace name] of
       "http://www.w3.org/2002/06/soap-envelope".

     * A [specified] property with a value of "true".

The type of the relayIfNotProcessed attribute information item
is xs:boolean.

Omitting this attribute information item is defined as
being semantically equivalent to including it with a value
of "false".

SOAP senders SHOULD NOT generate, but SOAP receivers MUST
accept the SOAP relayIfNotProcessed attribute information item
with a value of "false" or "0".

If generating a SOAP relayIfNotProcessed attribute
information item, a SOAP sender SHOULD use the canonical
representation "true" of the attribute value (see [XML
Schema Part2]). A SOAP receiver MUST accept any valid
lexical representation of the attribute value.

If relaying the message, a SOAP intermediary MAY
substitute "true" for the value "1", or "false" for "0".

A SOAP intermediary MAY omit the SOAP relayIfNotProcessed
attribute information item if its value is "false"

A SOAP sender generating a SOAP message SHOULD use the
relayIfNotProcessed attribute information item only on
SOAP header blocks. A SOAP receiver MUST ignore this
attribute information item if it appears on descendants of
a SOAP header block or on a SOAP body child element
information item (or its descendents).
</proposal>