Re: Issue 389 proposal

Hi Jacek,

Nice proposition. I think this make the spec easier to read.
I just have a few comments interspersed below.

Regards,

Hervé.

Jacek Kopecky wrote:
> Hi all, 8-)
>
> this message aims to identify the places in the spec about which the
> issue is concerned and it also contains the proposed replacement text.
>
> Shortly, the issue is that the distinction between terminal and
> non-terminal nodes in SOAP Data Model is unnecessary.
>
> The original text is taken from the current editor's copy at
> http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/2/06/LC/soap12-part2.html
>

> Section 2.2:
>
> <original>
> A graph node is either a terminal graph node or a non-terminal graph
> node. A non-terminal graph node has one or more outbound edges. A
> terminal graph node has no outbound edges and an optional lexical value.
> Both types of graph node have an optional type name of type xs:QName
> (see [XML Schema Part2]).
> </original>
>
> <proposed>
> A graph node has zero or more outbound edges. A graph node that has no
> outbound edges has an optional lexical value. All graph nodes have an
> optional type name of type xs:QName (see [XML Schema Part2]).
> </proposed>
>

> Section 2.3:
>
> <original>
> A simple value is represented as a terminal graph node.
>
> A compound value is represented as a non-terminal graph node as follows:
>
>         1. A non-terminal graph node whose outbound edges are
>            distinguished solely by their labels is known as a "struct".
>            The outbound edges of a struct MUST be labeled with distinct
>            names (see 2.1.1 Edge labels).
>         2. A non-terminal graph node whose outbound edges are
>            distinguished solely by position is known as an "array". The
>            outbound edges of an array MUST NOT be labeled.
> </original>
>
> <proposed>
> A simple value is represented as a graph node with a lexical value.

As in original a terminal graph node has an *optional* lexical value, I
would propose:
<friendlyAmendment>
A simple value is represented as a graph node with no outbound edges.
</friendlyAmendment>

> A compound value is represented as a graph node with zero or more
> outbound edges as follows:

The definition of non-terminal graph node says *one* or more outbound
edges, so I propose:
<friendlyAmendment>
A compound value is represented as a graph node with one or more
outbound edges as follows:
</friendlyAmendment>

>         1. A graph node whose outbound edges are distinguished solely by
>            their labels is known as a "struct". The outbound edges of a
>            struct MUST be labeled with distinct names (see 2.1.1 Edge
>            labels).
>         2. A graph node whose outbound edges are distinguished solely by
>            position is known as an "array". The outbound edges of an
>            array MUST NOT be labeled.
> </proposed>

[ snip ]