RE: Proposal for new last call issue: Some unprocessed headers should stay

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:54:19 -0700
To: "Jacek Kopecky" <jacek@systinet.com>, "Noah Mendelsohn" <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "XMLP Dist App" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>In this situation, I would prefer changing the default to keep
>unprocessed header entries, and deferring the relaying into
>modules where I think it really belongs; but I see how this
>might be perceived as a big change.

I think there are scenarios that call for both ignored header blocks to
be removed and for them to be forwarded. An example of the former is
some hop-by-hop oriented feature, and an example of the latter is some
feature that isn't hop-by-hop specific.

IMO, it is not really a question of whether changing the default is a
big change or not but rather that it doesn't address both cases. For
example, having ignored header blocks be preserved would not allow me to
deploy an optional hop-by-hop compression algorithm.

A nice thing about the "relay" role proposal is that I get both
capabilities. This means that I can deploy an optional hop-by-hop
"compression" header block which is removed if ignored AND a "trace"
header block which is not removed if ignored.

Henrik