RE: Proposal for new last call issue: Some unprocessed headers should stay

From: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2002 19:31:31 +0200
To: Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: XMLP Dist App <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

Noah, others,

my position that what you are trying to do is doable already in modules
themselves was based on my assumption that the default is that
unprocessed headers stay in the message. I don't understand how I got
that impression.

Seeing the proposal with the true default in mind I see that something
really needs to be changed in order for us to cover the presented
scenario.

In this situation, I would prefer changing the default to keep
unprocessed header entries, and deferring the relaying into modules
where I think it really belongs; but I see how this might be perceived
as a big change.

Targeting a header at a role other than 'next' is used to bypass the
nodes that *mustn't* process the header; this is not doable with the
special role. I am not at all sure that we can accept this trade-off -
either you can bypass some nodes or you can make a header sticky, not
both.

As for the proposed attribute, I agree with Henrik regarding the corner
cases.

Sorry if my mistaking the default behavior caused any confusion.

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   Senior Architect, Systinet Corporation
                   http://www.systinet.com/