Question regarding uniqueness of soap Fault in body

From: Ed Roskos <c0wg0esm00@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org

In the SOAP 1.2 working draft:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-soap12-part1-20020626/#soapfault

section 5.4: SOAP Fault,

it states:

"To be recognized as carrying SOAP error information,
a SOAP message MUST contain a single SOAP Fault
element information item as the only child of the SOAP
Body .

When generating a fault, SOAP senders MUST NOT include
additional element information items in the SOAP Body
. A message whose Body contains a Fault plus
additional element information items has no
SOAP-defined semantics."

A dilemna I am facing is that a response message I
generate from an application is streamed, and an error
may occur some time after I start streaming the
response.  Because of resource restrictions on the
server platform, I cannot know before I start
streaming whether or not an error will occur.  My
understanding of SOAP 1.1 is that I can add a Fault
element in the output after previous elements have
already been streamed (provided, of course, I make it
a direct child of the Body element).  In SOAP 1.2,
this is not possible, and I am left indicating the
error in some other fashion.

I looked in the archives (only recently joined this
group...) and could not find a reason for why this
restriction was added.  May I suggest the board
reconsider whether the Fault element must be unique
in 1.2?