Re: Are gateways SOAP intermediaries?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:05:27 -0400
To: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

Hi Henrik,

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:23:23AM -0700, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:

> Mark,
>
> The first question is of course what a gateway is but if we strictly
> look at it from a SOAP node perspective, then I don't think the SOAP
> spec has much to say about gateways. In general, I think the answer to
> your question is no, gateways are not SOAP intermediaries.

I think that's the interpretation that's closest to what the spec says
right now, though I don't think it would take much to fix that (because
it is a pretty limited definition of "intermediary", at least compared
with HTTP).  But at this late stage, I'm happy with that.

Of course, this doesn't prevent people from writing software that is
both a SOAP message sender and receiver, yet also terminates SOAP
messages.  It just prevents them from calling it a SOAP intermediary.

Thanks.

MB