Re: FW: LC Comments: Web Method Feature

From: Gavin Thomas Nicol <gtn@rbii.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 17:06:35 -0400
To: "'xml-dist-app@w3.org'" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

On Friday 05 July 2002 2:43 pm, Walden Mathews wrote:
> In object oriented design, we are admonished to think real hard about
> whether X "really isa" Y before we rush in with inheritance.  Doesn't
> that same kind of design care warrant here?

This is the difference though: what Mike is talking about is layering, not
inheritance. It is very common to use a Facade pattern to dress something up
as something else. That, and the old adage that "any problem in CS can be
solved with another layer of abstraction" leads to some degree of probability
that HTTP will not remain top dog/pure application protocol... not that
that's a good thing mind you...