RE: xsi:type for multiref targets.

From: Scott Cantor <cantor.2@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 21:57:43 -0500
To: "'Rich Salz'" <rsalz@zolera.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
> I think I'd prefer to see a "soapenc:type" attribute with
> similar semantics to xsi:type, except that it is limited to
> validating the content, not the element and its content. This
> seems simpler than creating wrappers.

Could be; it's just a trade-off, since you lose the built-in schema
validation by using a non-standard type attribute. I guess SOAP
processors can be taught to look for it, plus I know some of them don't
schema validate in automatic fashion anyway.

> On the other hand,
> SOAP 1.1 created the type hierarchy you describe, but it's of
> limited use in RPC encoding structures since you'd get naming
> conflicts if two elements were of the same type.

I think a wrapper or your suggestion are much better either way, but
then I have some sympathies with the XSD-centric approach to typing all
this stuff, so I'm biased against another type system in general.

-- Scott