Re: Soap Message Canonicalization (SM-C14N)

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:57:23 -0500
To: marc.hadley@sun.com
Cc: rsalz@zolera.com, xml-dist-app <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Mark Hadley writes:

>> There's more to it than that, the proposed rules allow
>> intermediaries to remove mustUnderstand="true|1",
>> role=".../ultimateReceiver" attributes for instance.
>> This is why the C14N transform would be a useful addition
>> to the spec.

Agreed.  IF the protocols WG finally decides to allow such changes, then
there is some value in a canonical form that accounts for them.  My
concern was about the much more complex proposal to sort headers based on
their complete content, etc.

Even so, I think that most uses of signature will be over >portions< of a
SOAP message.  Otherwise, we'd be saying that none of the intermediaries
through which the message pass can do anything interesting to change or
update the message!  So, I think the other pitfall would be to invest
design effot in trying to specifically account for the trivial changes
that intermediaries will make to a message, but to not anticipate the
useful work that they do.  I suspect that useful signature systems will be
over application-identified collections of header and/or body entries.

Bottom line:  I think we should carefully articulate the requirements and
use cases for canonicalization and signatures before we go too far
debating specific designs.  I'm not against defining a canonicalization
once we know what the success criteria are.  Thanks!

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142