Re: Proposal for issue 78: RPC structs and Encoding root attribute

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:34:40 +0000
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Jacek Kopecky wrote:

>  2) Rephrase the long paragraph into:
>  >>The root attribute information item can be used to label
> serialization roots that are not true roots of an object graph so
> that the object graph can be deserialized. True roots of a
> serialized graph have the implied value of "true" for this
> attribute information item or they may explicitly be labeled as
> true roots with a root attribute information item with a value of
> "true". An element information item that is not a serialization
> root but may appear so SHOULD/MUST explicitly be labeled as not
> being a serialization root with a root attribute information item
> with a value of "false".<<

This is still potentially a bit confusing I think. How about:

"The root attribute item is used to distinguish between element
information items that are true roots of a serialised graph and element
information items that may appear to be roots of a graph but are not.
Element information items that are true roots MAY be labelled with a
root attribute information item with a logical value of "true". Element
information items that are not roots MAY be labelled with a root
attribute information item with a logical value of "false".

We may want to change the two MAYs to SHOULDs or MUSTs depending on how
we see root being used. Personally I think it would be preferable if we
mandate one of either:

(a) the root is labelled with "true" or,
(b) the non-roots are labelled with "false".

Rather than leave it up to a sender to decided which to do.

regards,

Marc.

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.