Re: Soap Message Canonicalization (SM-C14N)

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:19:13 -0500
To: Noah Mendelsohn <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
CC: xml-dist-app <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
I agree with you, and would like to see SOAP make guarantees about how
intermediaries must preserve the order.  Until or unless that is done,
however, SM-C14N requires a unique sorting order; if you can think of a
more streaming-friendly way to do it, I'm all ears.

> * In general, I'm not sure we've motivated a single canonicalization for
> SOAP.  What are the use cases.  Allowing some freedom to intermediaries
> does establish equivalence classes for soap messages, but not necessarily
> one representation for each class that's considered canonical.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I want to be able to canonicalize a
message so that I get the identical byte stream no matter what
conforming intermediaries do. I need the identical byte stream so that
no matter who hashes [apologies to the Grinch], and no matter when in
the processing flow they hash, all hashes are the same.

Make sense?