TBTF: Proposed resolution issue 179

From: Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:28:26 +0000
To: XML Protocol Discussion <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Issue 179[1] concerns the apparent mandatory support for one-way MEPs in
all bindings. During the last TBTF call we discussed this issue and the
consensus was that mandatory support for a one-way MEP was not intended.
I would like to propose the following resolution to this issue:

Currently in part 1, section 5.3 we find:

"Every binding specification MUST support the transmission and
processing of one-way messages as described in this specification. A
binding specification MAY state that it supports additional features, in
which case the binding specification MUST provide for maintaining state,
performing processing, and transmitting information in a manner
consistent with the specification for those features."

I propose that we simply remove the first sentence so that the paragraph
reads:

"A binding specification MAY state that it supports additional features,
in which case the binding specification MUST provide for maintaining
state, performing processing, and transmitting information in a manner
consistent with the specification for those features."

Regards,
Marc.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x179

--
Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>
XML Technology Centre, Sun Microsystems.