Re: Issue with soap-rpc:result

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:17:04 -0500, in soap you wrote:

>All,
>
>I want to raise an issue with the model for RPC invocations and
>[1].
>
>Specifically, mandating the "result" element from the
>"http://www.w3.org/2001/12/soap-rpc" namespace as the accessor for an
>RPC call's return value is problematic because that element is defined
>as being of anyType.

This also appears to be a potential issue when using the soap
encoding, If i understand correctly, the SOAP message will have to
include an xsi:type on the result element to indicate its type, yet
the rules for encoding state
"For each element containing a value, the type of the value MUST be
represented by at least one of the following conditions: (a) the
containing element instance contains an xsi:type attribute, (b) the
containing element instance is itself contained within an element
containing a (possibly defaulted) enc:arrayType attribute or (c) or
the name of the element bears a definite relation to the type, that
type then determinable from a schema."

In this case neither options (b) nor (c) appear possible for the
result element.

Cheers
Simon
www.pocketsoap.com