RE: Issue 133, and permitting no body

From: Williams, Stuart <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:21:58 -0000
To: "'John J. Barton'" <John_Barton@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: mnot@mnot.net, xml-dist-app@w3.org, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, distobj@acm.org
Hi John,

> Returning to Stuart's thread, this line of reasoning says: "don't worry
> about the POST response, worry about how the client formed the message".
> Semantic ignorance is bliss on the client side: the less it knows the
> more we can accomplish.

Sounds like the basis of a good lawyer joke :-)

I guess this works if you think of a browser/UA as the client. If you think
of the human being as the client then semantics ignorance on the part of the
client might be problematic - he/she would have no idea what they have
accomplised... or committed to.

If you then replace the human client with a program... it presumably needs
to be endowed with some awareness of the signifcance of the resources it
manipulates.

>  If web service requires simultaneous upgrade
> (homogeneity and central admin), we have created a lot of
> angle brackets for nothing.

:-)

> John.
> John J. Barton          email:  John_Barton@hpl.hp.com
> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/John_Barton/index.htm
> MS 1U-17  Hewlett-Packard Labs
> 1501 Page Mill Road              phone: (650)-236-2888
> Palo Alto CA  94304-1126         FAX:   (650)-857-5100

Cheers,

Stuart