Re: NOTATION attribute invalid in soap-encoding

From: Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:10:44 +0100
To: Paul Cotton <pcotton@microsoft.com>
CC: xml-dist-app@w3.org, Max Johnson <max.johnson@dealspark.com>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Paul,

This issue has been raised already (see attached email), but it
does not appear to be in the issues list. I don't know if we have
updated the schema.

Jean-Jacques.

attached mail follows:

I suggest we remove the NOTATION complex type ( and attribute declaration )
from the encoding schema.

As several commentators have observed the NOTATION type from the
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema namespace should only be used with
attributes. However, the extended NOTATION type in the
http://www.w3.org/2001/09/soap-envelope namespace adds the standard SOAP
attributes, id and href. Obviously an attribute cannot itself have
attributes.

I'm reasonably confident that removing this type from the encoding schema
will have zero impact on implementations ( because AFAIK no one is using
the
NOTATION type ). If anyone is using the NOTATION type please speak up!

Comments, flames and counter proposals to the usual address

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor