RE: Closing XML Protocol Last Call issue 395

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:26:04 -0800
To: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>My question is, does it provide a unique encoding (modulo,
>say, insignificant whitespace) or does it allow wiggle room
>for you to introduce a <!DOCTYPE > while serializing.

Unless I am missing something, I don't think there is any wiggle room
because we state that the serialization is an XML/1.0 representation of
the SOAP message infoset, no more, no less. IMO, this means that there
is no mechanism for adding things *not* in the SOAP message infoset
including internal subsets because they would require a document type
declaration information item even if parts thereof don't show up in the
infoset.

>  As
>mentioned in my note to Gudge a minute ago, I think there are
>some DTD constructions that are not visible in the infoset
>(parsed entity declarations, attribute declarations w/
>defaults).  I don't see 3203 as prohibiting their introduction
>into the serialization, and that's my problem.  If my concern
>is justified, I think we close the hole by saying:  "Use the
>application/soap+xml media type, being sure not to include a
><!DOCTYPE>."  Or, if we want to disallow it in the media type
>(which would take application/soap+xml further from
>application/xml, but would otherwise be OK with me), that
>would be OK too.

I am still not convinced that it is the Right Thing because the obvious
question would be: 'well, where would "<!DOCTYPE>" come from when
serializing a SOAP message using the mechanism described by the
"application/soap+xml" media type?'

Henrik