Comments in SOAP messages

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:12:30 -0500
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Cc: elharo@metalab.unc.edu

Elliotte Rusty Harold raised some questions about comments in SOAP
messages. In particular he noticed that we appear not to allow them as
children of the document information item.  I was all set to send a
response that says;  oh yes, possible infelicity, but we allow them
everywhere else, and there are subtleties relating to handling at
intermediaries.  Well, I find language in 2.7.4 that says how they can be
added and removed at intermediaries, but I couldn't find anything that says
they are allowed in the infoset in the first place!  I feel like I'm
missing something obvious.  If not, significant bug, I think?  I know our
intention was to allow them, and to grant some lattitude to intermediaries
to add and remove them.  That was decided at the Bedford F2F, I think.  Am
I remembering correctly?  Is it in the spec?  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142