RE: Problem with resolution of Issue 221

From: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 17:57:07 -0400
To: Mike.Champion@SoftwareAG-USA.com
Cc: xml-dist-app@w3.org

My strong feeling is that intermediaries should not be required to do PI
checking in situations where performance makes such detection a problem. I
agree with Gudge that requiring it for one purpose but not another misses
the point.  So, if the resolution to 221 seems inconsistent when viewed
from that perspective, then I think we need to get the WG to clarify.  My
recollection was that our intention was that detection and rejection in a
receiver was to be on a best effort basis, but I could be wrong.  Thanks.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142