Re: Issue #12 proposed resolution

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 10:44:30PM -0400, Mark Baker wrote:
> > > a) Disallow the use of 3xx HTTP redirection, and rely on a SOAP
> > >    Module, Fault or similar to enable redirection.
> > >
> > > b) Carefully craft wording to the effect that SOAP clients should
> > >    assume user confirmation.
> > >
> > > In either case, we probably do need explanatory language in the spec.
> > > I'm slightly in favour of 'a' at this point.
> >
> > Or c) expose resource redirection via SOAP.  I think this has merit,
> > as resource redirection is applicable with other application protocols,
> > even if they currently have no notion of it.  For example, SMTP could
> > be extended with SOAP+redirection to support notifying clients of the
> > change of somebody's email address (if known).
>
> How is that different from 'a'?

a) is wordsmithing, while c) requires extending SOAP to support
redirection, likely with a new fault code.

Practically though, since there's not enough time to consider the
implications of redirection, we'll probably end up with;

d) wordsmith enough now to leave the door open for c) at a later date.

8-)

> > I'd suggest simpler wording though;
> >
> > "A SOAP application MUST NOT use the HTTP response status code
> > to infer the presence or absence of a SOAP response."
> >
> > This impacts my proposed text from my last message, hopefully
> > in an obvious way.
>
> I'd change that to '...presence or substance of a SOAP envelope".

Not "absence"?  If we're going for completeness here, I think we
need to say "presence or absence".  I'm not sure what "substance"
refers to.

MB