Re: Issue #12 proposed resolution

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 11:45:34PM -0400, Mark Baker wrote:

> > > Or c) expose resource redirection via SOAP.  I think this has
> > > merit, as resource redirection is applicable with other
> > > application protocols, even if they currently have no notion of
> > > it.  For example, SMTP could be extended with SOAP+redirection
> > > to support notifying clients of the change of somebody's email
> > > address (if known).
> >
> > How is that different from 'a'?
>
> a) is wordsmithing, while c) requires extending SOAP to support
> redirection, likely with a new fault code.
>
> Practically though, since there's not enough time to consider the
> implications of redirection, we'll probably end up with;
>
> d) wordsmith enough now to leave the door open for c) at a later
> date.

OK. I meant "come up with a Fault or Module" by 'a', or possibly just
leave the door open. Sounds like we're on the same track.

> > > I'd suggest simpler wording though;
> > >
> > > "A SOAP application MUST NOT use the HTTP response status code
> > > to infer the presence or absence of a SOAP response."
> > >
> > > This impacts my proposed text from my last message, hopefully
> > > in an obvious way.
> >
> > I'd change that to '...presence or substance of a SOAP envelope".
>
> Not "absence"?  If we're going for completeness here, I think we
> need to say "presence or absence".  I'm not sure what "substance"
> refers to.

Using 'presence' implies 'absence'. 'substance' is important, because
someone might infer the Fault type, presence of a Fault as opposed to
the presence of a SOAP Envelope, etc.

The editors can probably step in here... ;)

Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/