Re: sparse arrays - too complex?

At 03:44 PM 9/21/01 +0200, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
>SOAP doesn't even have native maps (associative
>arrays) and I value maps much higher than "diff" arrays.

Given this, why are sparse arrays in the spec? They seem like a very low
value feature that create a disproportionate amount of complexity and
confusion.

I read a previous post where it was said sparse arrays are useful for
handling legacy RPC systems. If this is the only reason, then it seems like
a poor idea to stick them right in the main SOAP spec. I think they would
be better treated as just another application specific data structure (ie:
"Generic Compound Type"). At best, the sparse array format should be put in
an appendix for "The recommended way to encode type X from legacy system Y."

Specific application areas are full of custom types, so it seems unusual to
give sparse arrays special treatment. Putting sparse arrays in the main
SOAP spec forces all SOAP users to contend with complexity flowing from one
application type. Good design does not let complexity flow in this direction.

Tyler