Re: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 17:23:21 -0400 (EDT)
To: mnot@mnot.net (Mark Nottingham)
Cc: andrewl@microsoft.com (Andrew Layman), xml-dist-app@w3.org, dave@scripting.com
> I'd reiterate that other W3C XML-based formats have chosen to define
> their own content-type. Perhaps we should explore the reasoning of
> those groups (SVG and SMIL, to start with).

FWIW, XHTML 1.0 was held up for quite a while because of two issues;
one, the "three namespaces vs. one" debate, and the other, that XHTML
should not be sent as text/xml or application/xml[1].  The concern
expressed by Sun and others was that because XML namespaces weren't well
deployed (though that was in late '99), "img", "h1", and other well known
HTML elements (or perhaps all of HTML) would somehow find special status
in a "root namespace" such that they would be usable as-is in other XML
formats that didn't use namespaces.

 [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-xhtml1-19990824/#media

MB