RE: text/xml for SOAP is incorrect

From: Jones, Matthew <MJones@NetSilicon.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:56:39 -0400
To: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

> >There should not be a
> >different media type for XML sent to an "application"
> >verses one sent to a "browser" (which is just another
> >application).  The server should not assume the use of
> >the media representation.

Simon replies :

> The server should label the content it sends to the client to
> the best of
> its ability.  In this case, I would argue that text/xml is at best a
> cop-out, at worst a lie.

What about text/html, text/sgml, are these acceptable?  It would seem
that to be consistant with the proposal text/plain should really be
application/text.  I think the question should center around when is
"text/..." acceptable.  By the way what is the content-type for MathML?

Matthew Jones
mjones@netsilicon.com