Re: XML Protocol WG requests comments by XML Core WG on position on XML Base

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 04:59:19PM -0700, David Orchard wrote:
> Dear XML Core team,
>
> The XML Protocol group would like to ask the XML Core working group for
> feedback on a position it is contemplating wrt XML Base.  The proposal by
> Noah Mendelsohn at [1].  In summary, it proposes that SOAP 1.2 should
> disallow the use of xml:base attributes on SOAP elements, and leave
> undefined the behaviour of relative URIs.
>
> I'd like to have this on Wednesday's agenda if possible.  I think our
> options are roughly
> 1) The text and premise are fine
> 2) The text and premise aren't fine, and here's the reasoning why.

  I have looked at this from a distance (I'm subscribed to the protocol
list). It seems to ne that you are free to use or not use XML Base in
your specific use of XML. The point is whether you want to allow
URI-References from a SOAP entity in general. I'm also unclear if you
disallow URI-References from user data encapsulated in the SOAP body.

  I think disallowing relative URI on SOAP elements may make sense in
your case and in that case disallowing xml:base is fine, but you should
allow to carry relative URI in the "payload" and allow xml:base there
because I can certainly see examples where it may be very useful to
pass such references between two software modules using SOAP to
communicate. The base can be a space on the wire real saver, and you
may want to carry relative URI anyway.

Daniel