Re: Sun and independent developers

From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:17:56 -0700
To: "Anne Thomas Manes" <anne@manes.net>, <graham.hamilton@sun.com>, <rahul.sharma@sun.com>, <pelegri@eng.sun.com>
Cc: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim@oreilly.com>, <xml-prc@yahoogroups.com>, <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>, <decentralization@yahoogroups.com>, <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>, "Xml-Dist-App@W3. Org" <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
Thanks Anne, I'll report back when there's a resolution.

Also to the Sun people, let's get a conversation going about working
together to achieve our common goals. Let's get Java in a strong position to
help define interop in SOAP, and supporting independent developers with
XML-RPC.

As one of the designers of SOAP 1.1, I want to see a level playing field
that includes everyone who wants to participate. If we delay working
together much longer, interop in SOAP may well end up meaning "works with
Microsoft" -- and while Microsoft makes excellent software, it would be a
shame to see a protocol like SOAP go down that path.

Dave