RE: Issue 71: Additional actors

From: Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: henrikn@microsoft.com, mnot@mnot.net
Cc: jones@research.att.com, xml-dist-app@w3.org
	Subject: RE: Issue 71: Additional actors
	Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 19:26:16 -0700
	From: "Henrik Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
	To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
	Cc: "Mark Jones" <jones@research.att.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

	You can always wrap it into another block like this:

	  <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2001/06/soap-envelope">
	   <s:Header>
	    <c:thisDoesNothing xmlns:c="http://www.noop.org">
	      <a:whatever xmlns:a="http://www.example.org" id="foo">
	      </a:whatever>
	    </c:thisDoesNothing>
	    <b:thisDoesSomething xmlns:b="http://www.example.org">
	      <blah ref="#foo"/>
	    </b:thisDoesSomething>
	   </s:Header>
	   <s:Body>
	   </s:Body>
	  </s:Envelope>

This solution carries with it the same semantic flaw in that it
implicitly targets the final destination (as anonymous actor)
for processing the c:thisDoesNothing block.  This may indeed
work (assuming that it carries out the intention of the sender
in doing nothing -- do we need a mustUnderstand here?), but it
perpetuates the problem that we'd like to avoid having the final
destination even having to consider this block.

Quoting from section 2.3 in [1]: "SOAP header blocks with no such
[actor] attribute information item and the SOAP body are implicitly
targeted at the anonymous SOAP actor, implying that they are to be
processed by the ultimate SOAP receiver."  We are dealing with
cases here in which the sender does not wish to imply any such thing!
The sender simply wants to mark the block as untargeted at ANY
specific actor -- a much different proposition.

Mark Jones

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/08/29/soap12-part1.html