RE: SOAPAction Proposal

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 08:53:54 -0700
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>, "Rich Salz" <rsalz@zolera.com>
Cc: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>, "Doug Davis" <dug@us.ibm.com>, <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>Many implementations already generate SOAPAction, and some
>have specific requirements for it; if they read 'optional',
>they may just continue to generate it, leaving us in an interop mess.

If think the optional lies in whether a service provider wants to use it
or not. If it is "exported" as part of that web service then I think the
client is expected to use it. If not then clearly the client doesn't
have to.

Given that the value is not computed and the client has to be told when
to use it by the service provider, I am not sure I can see what
interoperability problems it causes?

Henrik