RE: Issue 140 bogus?

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:44:51 -0400
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: David Fallside <fallside@us.ibm.com>, "'Jacek Kopecky'" <jacek@idoox.com>, xml-dist-app@w3.org
Would it make sense to say, in the normative specification, something
along the lines of:

"Except for next, and none, etc. this specification does not prescribe the
criteria by which a given node determines the (possible empty) set of
roles in which it acts on a given message.  For example, implementations
can base this determination on factors including, but not limited to:
hardcoded choices in the implementation, information provided by the
transport binding (e.g. the URI to which the message was physically
delivered), configuration information made by users during system
installation, etc. "

We already have text, I believe (I'm on an airplane and can't easily
check) that makes clear that nodes acting as the anonymous actor cannot
further relay a message, and in that sense serve as an endpoint.  I would
fully expect that the request/response MEP, when specified, would indicate
that responses typically originate from the node that acted in the
anonymous role for the request.

Sound about right?

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142