Re: Proposal for hierarchical fault codes

From: Rich Salz <rsalz@zolera.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:30:09 -0500
To: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
CC: XML Protocol Discussion <xml-dist-app@w3.org>
>    <faultcode>
>      <value>soap:Reciever</value>
>      <value xmlns:app='http://example.org/apps' >app:SomeError</value>
>    </faultcode>

> This doesn't imply a hierarchy to me but rather that all the fault codes are
> of equal 'importance'. But I can see the argument that the order of the
> siblings determines importance.

Right, it's a slight shift of emphasis.

The sender may now include multiple fault values that provide differing
levels of specificity or other description.  The receiver scans through
the list looking for a QNAME it understands.

As for schema definition, I'd actually consider tweaking it so that the
first value element must be from the standard-specificed enumerated list
of values.  Subsequent optional value elements may provide more detail
for the receiver.
	/r$

Encryption)
http://www.zolera.com