RE: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of SOAPAction

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 15:33:27 -0700
To: "Jeffrey Kay" <jkay@ENGENIA.COM>, <dick@8760.com>
Cc: <xml-dist-app@w3.org>

>I'd agree that text/xml would be really hard to distinguish
>SOAP messages from others without processing the XML directly.
> I'd be more in favor of a text/xml-soap or
>application/xml-protocol or something like that to clearly
>identify the kind of XML involved.  It's not a perfect
>solution, but it solves the "signal" problem without having to
>resort to another header. Another thought might be to use
>something like:

>This would have the same signal effect as SOAPAction, but
>without the extra header value.

But it doesn't really - there are two parts to the SOAPAction fields -
the fact that it is a SOAP message (which at the end of the day doesn't
say much of anything) and then there is the hint which is administrated
in a decentralized manner.

Btw, there is an RFC on XML and media types - it's RFC 3023

Henrik