RE: [i95, i22] - Proposal for clarifying use of SOAPAction

From: Doug Davis <dug@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 20:03:53 -0700
To: xml-dist-app@w3.org
Henrik wrote:
>I would, however, like to discourage the use of SOAPAction for routing
>of messages as this is not the place to put that information - the
>destination of an HTTP message is the request-URI.

You say this a lot.  8-)  And I don't quite understand why.
It seems as though you're in favor of not restricting the definition
of SOAPAction or it's use and yet you say it shouldn't be used
for routing - it seems inconsistent.

Given the fact that some people are in fact using it for routing,
one of the problem I see with SOAP and the SOAPAction field is that
it introduces yet another place for specifying what could be
redundant information.  We have the request-URI, the SOAPAction,
and the TargetObjectURI on the SOAP Body element - any of which
could be used for routing/dispatching/hinting.  No wonder there's
so much confusion and discussion.

-Dug